Safe Day One®
Health Care Orientation and Safety Training
A preparation course for the Certified Health Care Physical Environment Worker.
The Safe Day One Health Care Orientation and Safety online training explores what you, as a technician, should know before you get to a health care worksite, what to expect when you arrive and what you need to know while you are working. The program raises the level of knowledge for staff, contractors, and all others so that disruptions to the environment of care are minimized. You will explore some OSHA and environmental safety issues that are unique to the health care industry. Remember, in the health care industry, it’s not enough to be safe one day, we must be Safe, Day One.
The orientation of technicians and contractors in health care is a patient safety issue and a requirement for accreditation with Center for Medicare/Medicaid Services (CMS) and other accrediting organizations such as The Joint Commission.
- Contractors and subcontractors
- It is recommended that general contractors and construction project managers take ASHE's Health Care Construction Workshop and that at least one person on the job site has the Certified Healthcare Constructor (CHC) Certification. It is then recommended that anyone else on the job site should be a Certified Health Care Physical Environment Worker.
- Before you Arrive at the Jobsite
- Pre-construction Risk Assessment: Infection Prevention, Fire Safety, Patient Privacy, & Vaccinations
- When you Arrive
- Parking, Security, Permits, Emergency Codes, & Teamwork
- While you’re Working & Before you Leave the Jobsite
- Odors, Vibration & Noise, Compartmentalization, Debris Removal
- Environmental & OSHA Safety
- Confined Space, Ladder Safety, Blood-borne Pathogens & much more
- Working in Health Care During a Pandemic
The registration fee for the Safe Day One® e-Learning Course is $129 per person.
Total: 6 CECs (1 CEC = 1 contact hour)
Safe Day One® credit hours can be used toward the renewal of the Certified Health Care Facility Manager (CHFM) credential and the Certified Health Care Constructor (CHC) credential with the following breakdown:
CHFM renewal content codes: Facility project management; Maintenance & operations
CHC renewal content codes: Health care industry fundamentals
Provided with this program:
- Certificate of course attendance that can be used to market your knowledge
- Solid preparation for certified health care physical environment worker certification examination
Please note: The course fee does not include the exam fee, nor does it register you for the Certified Health Care Physical Environment Worker Exam. Participation in the review program does not guarantee a passing score on the exam. To register for the Certified Health Care Physical Environment Worker Exam, please click here.
Please note that the course is self-paced, and you have 90 days to complete the e-learning from the time you register. If you do not receive your log-in information within 24 hours, please contact ASHE at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please only purchase quantity of 1 per account to gain access to one e-learning course. Multiple purchases cancel each other. For group registration of 15 or more please contact asheEducation@aha.org.
Spanish version coming soon!